Galaxy y is a budget phone from Samsung, which comes up with Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread but now thanks to a developer, a new update to the Fast and great Android 4.0 Ice cream Sandwichis available for Galaxy Y, This tutorial is the easiest method with which you can install ICS, just not to forget this is not an official update, its an unofficial Custom ROM for Galaxy Y and if you are waiting and looking for an Official update,you are wasting your time as Samsung and common sense has already said it that for a low-end phone like Galaxy Y, there will no Icecram Sandwich. So head to the tutorial after the break, you can thank me later :
What Not To Forget -
just a reminder that in-order to update your phone your Phone should be rooted, if its not you can do it here –> Root Samsung Galaxy Y (Young) S5360 On Android 2.3 Gingerbread .
Your Phone should have ClockworkMod recovery installed.
Back up all your data As this will wipe out data from your phone.
What you Will Need –
Disclaimer – Android Muscle will not be responsible for any of your loss, Proceed on your own risk, if you are new to this please dont try.
Steps To Install/Update Icecream Sandwich 4.0 On Galaxy Y.
1. Connect your Galaxy Y to your computer and make sure usb debugging is enabled, here is how to do it –> How To Enable/Disable USB Debugging On Android Phone
2. Now transfer the zip file you downloaded and place it in your sd card ( Remember – Do not place it in any deep folder )
3. Disconnect your phone from your P.C.
4. Now turn off your phone and boot into Recovery mode, you can do it by ( Pressing and holding the power button + volume up button + Home button )
5. Now you will see a warning mark on your screen, press and hold power button + volume up button again and you will boot into recovery mode.
6. Once you in the recovery mode, Make your way to ” Install from sd card “, select it
7. Now select the file you transferred.
8. Once selected, installation will start, now all you have to do is wait. Once finished, select ” Reboot system now” and your phone will restart.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed Android 4.0 Ice cream sawich on your Samsung Galaxy y, please note that for the first restart it will load things and it will take around 5 mins, it will get to normal after few restarts.